Background

Thursday, May 21, 2009

My Green Soapbox

We do our fair share of donating useable clothing to charities like Purple Heart and Goodwill.  There are also large, sometimes overflowing, yellow "dumpsters" in the IGA parking lot to make it easy to drop off unwanted clothing items for Planet Aid. I'm always very careful to sort through the items that I donate to make sure they're not so far gone, that someone would be able to actually wear them.  I imagine the people at the Goodwill store holding up some raggy 'ol T-shirt or sunscreen-stained blouse thinking "They think just because we're poor, we don't have any pride?".  So, "undonateables" go to the rag bin.  Still recycling, still good, but not all old clothes make good rags. Ever try drying a car with an old pair of bluejeans?   Inspect no more! Goodwill recycles the unwearable textiles that are donated.  Apparently, it's a big deal.  Why hadn't I realized that before?  I have always been curious about what they did with all the stuff they couldn't sell...


No comments:

Post a Comment