Background

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A good friend is cheaper than therapy. ~Author Unknown


Yesterday was my day to run errands in town. I’d love to stay in sleepy little Deale, but as of yet, Trader Joe’s does not deliver! There’s something to be said about stocking up...4 pounds of walnuts, 3 pounds of almonds, 2 quarts of olive oil, a pound of feta cheese, the list goes on. It's 20 miles to get to the nearest TJ’s but definitely worth the drive.

On my way in to town, I stopped to see my BFF. She and I have been friends for almost 20 years. We have worked and spent many travel days together, and shared hotel rooms for days on end. One of my favorite stories of her childhood has to do with a pair of red cowboy boots that she loved so much, she wore them constantly until she could no longer fit into them. The picture is priceless! It’s one of the things I love so much about her; she shares her whole self. I feel like I’ve known her all my life. Another sister. How lucky can a girl get? Her "blog name" will be Red. ​

I had intended to stop for only a few minutes. It was a gorgeous day; warm, starting to get just a little humid, but so nice to be outside. Red was working in her garden when I arrived. She took a break and we sat on the deck to talk for a bit. As things go with a BFF, we talk about everything. She has been so supportive of my new business venture and, having owned her own business years ago, seems to know just what to say to help me work through some of the details that are weighing me down. I always feel just a little lighter after our visits!

A few minutes almost always turns into more when Red and I are together. An hour later, I left her house and completed my errands for the day. TJ’s was crowded (as usual) and the bank was not (as usual). I drove back to “South County” and assessed what was left of my day.

I have been putting a lot of time and energy into developing my business plan and it is almost complete. Parts that remain incomplete are those which require numbers. How does one estimate the success of a dream? It is an awful lot like raising children. You read all the books, follow all the rules, and then one day, they deviate from the plan. Good or not. Come to think of it, I guess raising kids is good practice for starting a a business! I hope to have the same luck this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment